- This event has passed.
U of M Extension Small Farm Education 8-Week Workshop Series
October 21, 2020 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Small Farm Education Workshop Series
Join University of Minnesota Extension Ag Educator Rod Greder for an eight-week workshop series, “Small Farm Education”, a complete introduction to managing your small acreage or farm. This series will be held Wednesday evenings from 6:30-8:30 p.m. beginning October 21. The basic agriculture information received through this series will help you be a good steward of your land and prepare you for more advanced learning opportunities. You’ll also have time for networking and questions.
Topics covered (subject to change):
- Taking Stock: What do I have and what do I want to do? Develop short and long term goals, complete an inventory and property map. Introduction to Extension and our resources and programs.
- What can I do with my property? Local and state regulations, and your goals. Production systems, marketing and economics for agricultural/rural enterprises. Farm transitions and land access.
- Soil, Water, Air, Climate: Learn about soil structure, health, and fertility. Learn how to use integrated sustainable systems to be good stewards of all your natural resources. Regenerative and practical practices.
- Buildings, Equipment, Crops, and Livestock: What do you want to produce? Learn about the buildings, equipment, power and supplies you’ll need.
- Woodlands and Wildlife: Information to best care for your trees and woodlots. Invasive weeds, pollinators and wildlife habitats. Agroforestry. Silvopasture.
- Home-Grown Fruits, Nuts and Vegetables: Successful vegetable and fruit production for home use or sale. Managing fruit trees and vines. Explore options for selling produce. Alternative production systems. Food safety planning.
- Animal Care and Management: Animal husbandry, manure management, pasture management, zoning and permitting, labor required and costs of livestock; emphasis on poultry, sheep, goats, and cattle.
- Tours and Panels: Visit small farm businesses to get ideas and inspiration. Q&A with farmer panel. Networking with suppliers, vendors, buyers, information providers.
- NOTE: Topics are subject to change based on the needs of the participants.
How to Register:
- Registration fee is $159 (for two people from one farm) for the 8-week educational series. Late fee: An additional $20 will be charged for registrations received after October 10.
- Pre-registration is required, register HERE by October 10 (Please register early as class size is limited).
For more information, please contact Rod Greder, Ag Educator, 320-591-1662 or email@example.com.