Minnesota Soil Health Coalition Board Member Roles and Responsibilities
Position Title: Member of the Board of Directors
Length of Term: Three year term limits
Reports To: Entire Board of Directors
The Minnesota Soil Health Coalition’s mission is producer driven education, outreach, and adoption utilizing information exchange to promote the principles of soil health practices.
The Board will support the work of the Minnesota Soil Health Coalition and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by the Minnesota Soil Health Coalition Coordinator, the Board-Chair relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Primary legal duties
- Duty of Care: Take care of the nonprofit by ensuring prudent use of all assets, including facility, people, and good will.
- Duty of Loyalty: Ensure that the nonprofit's activities and transactions are, first and foremost, advancing its mission; Recognize and disclose conflicts of interest; Make decisions that are in the best interest of the nonprofit corporation; not in the best interest of the individual board member (or any other individual or for-profit entity).
- Duty of Obedience: Ensure that the nonprofit obeys applicable laws and regulations; follows its own bylaws; and that the nonprofit adheres to its stated corporate purposes/mission.
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director to develop and implement the Minnesota Soil Health Coalition’s mission and strategic plan and evaluates its performance and overall performance of the organization in achieving the mission
- Approving the Minnesota Soil Health Coalition’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Assisting in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing the Minnesota Soil Health Coalition to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring the Minnesota Soil Health Coalition’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities the Minnesota Soil Health Coalition serves
Provide leadership and representation of the Minnesota Soil Health Coalition to build financial resources to support the mission and strategic plan.
- Participate in fund raising activities and special events
- Recruit sponsors as needed
- Identify and cultivate potential donors
The Minnesota Soil Health Coalition’s Board Members will serve a two or three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term for two consecutive terms. Board meetings will be held monthly, and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
- Attend and participate in Board Meetings not missing three or more consecutive meetings
- Actively serve on at least one committee and offer to take on special assignments
- Attend and participate in the annual planning meeting
- Attend special events such as fundraisers and ground-breaking ceremonies
- Participate in podcasts, social media, and share stories and experiences to promote the mission and strategic plan•Participate in economic analysis, management tracking, and soil health testing
- Agree to be a farmer mentor and provide mentoring activities outlined in mentor agreement
- Meet with potential donors/funders to make a case for funding the organization, answer questions, etc.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about the Minnesota Soil Health Coalition’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in the agriculture sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members. Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- A commitment to and understanding of the Minnesota Soil Health Coalition’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of the Minnesota Soil Health Coalition’s beneficiaries
Submittal for Board Elections
The board of directors are Minnesota farmers that are dedicated to the Coalition’s mission. More information regarding board member duties is provided on the following pages. By submitting your name you are agreeing to the board of director duties.
To submit your name for board elections of the Minnesota Soil Health Coalition enter your information below or print and fill out the first page of this document and return to:
Minnesota Soil Health Coalition
1157 110th Ave
Luverne, MN 56156